The Hohenwerfen Castle presents itself as a real theme castle. Numerous events, traditional and theatrical events and concerts take place. Daily flight presentations of the provincial falconry are a real fascinating attraction. You will see presentations with various birds of prey.
The Hohenwerfen Castle high above the Salzachtal:
- The imposing Hohenwerfen Castle of authoritative spirituality from the 11th century
- A shady footpath of about 15 minutes or with a minibus to the Hohenwerfen Castle
- Daily guides in the Hohenwerfen Castle with weapon exhibitions (Easter to November)
- The historical castle tavern with knightly feasts
- Audio Guide (Dutch, English, French, Italian)
- Varying special exhibtions and festive weekends
- The Salzburg provincial falconry with daily flight demonstrations
- The falconry museum and bird of prey nature trail of Hohenwerfen Castle
The Hohenwerfen Castle served as a prison for many centuries. Rulers like the Archbishop Adalbert III or even Count Albert von Friesach, the Styrian state captain Siegmund and the Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Reitenau were held captive in the castle.
As a strategic stronghold, the Hohenwerfen Castle dominates at a 155m high prominent rock cone of the Salzburg Salzach valley. The castle lies about 40km south of the Mozart city of Salzburg. The Hohenwerfen Castle is surrounded by the magnificent Hagen and Tennen mountains ranges.
The Hohenwerfen castle complex is a sister castle to the Hohensalzburg Fortress. The ownership of the Hohenwerfen Castle was switched over to the district of Salzburg in 1938. The castle was used as a training site of the federal gendarmerie till 1987.
The Hohenwerfen Castle was continuously expanded and refurbished throughout the centuries.