Residence Gallery Salzburg
The Residenzgalerie Salzburg was opened in 1923. The inception occurred in the first years after the end of the monarchy and should had served different functions: Replacement for the archiepiscopal art collection that was lost due to the Napoleonic disturbances in the early 19th century, study collections with regard to the project for the establishment of an art academy (never realized); and a motif for the reestablishment to promote foreign tourism, as an additional cultural attraction aside of the Salzburg festivities.
The gallery is located in the east wing of the Salzburg Residence, above the Bel floor. The building fabric dates back to 1600, the stucco ceilings in the northern gallery rooms were commissioned by the Archbishop Franz Anton Fürst Harrach, who used these rooms as an audience and living room. At the end of the 18th century, under Archbishop Hieronymus Graf Colloredo, the floor was used for the first time for the exhibition of the archiepiscopal painting collection. This reference to Salzburg’s history was an important aspect for the state of Salzburg during the construction of the museum.
The collections consist of European paintings from the 16th to the 19th century.
The focus lies on the Dutch paintings of the 17th century (Rembrandt, Rubens, Brueghel...), Italian, French and Austrian paintings of the 17th and 18th century, as well as Austrian masterpieces of the 18th century (Waldmüller, Amerling, Makart, Ender …).
Special exhibitions are offered regularly apart from the current exhibition.