Cathedral Grave Museum
Salzburg Cathedral Grave Museum - Domgrabmuseum
The cathedral’s excavation museum located below the residence and cathedral square ensures an insight into the building capabilities since Roman times in the area of today’s cathedral.
The excavation findings of a Roman villa are particularly impressive. Archaeologists excavated mosaic, brickwork, canals, small finds, as well as the warm-air heating facility.
Even the foundations and the rising brickwork of the west tower, expanding the Roman dome in the late 12th century under Archbishop Konrad III, can still be seen. The Salzburg Archbishop Wolf Dietrich (1587-1612) let it wear away after a fire (1598). Today’s early baroque cathedral was inaugurated in 1629.